Welcome to Amata Anangu School
The Amata community is in the western Musgrave Ranges, west of the Stuart Highway, it is situated approximately 500 kilometres south west of Alice Springs and just south of the Northern Territory border.
Amata is approximately 1400 km by road from Adelaide, including 200 km on unsealed roads.
The Amata community consists of about 350 people. It has a general store, a clinic and a world famous art centre.
Current initiatives are predicated on creating the conditions for sustainable empowered futures for Anangu. These include:
- Establishing mindsets that inspire high expectations & expire learned helplessness;
- ‘Anangu First’ approach to co-planning, with the 2 way science approach as the first stage;
- Culture and language first in the timetable (every day) and integrated with curriculum;
- Active and intentional emphasis on bilingual learning & language acquisition, and
- Culturally safe & trauma informed practices.